Image Map

October 2, 2012

Is the Grass Really Greener?

Source: tipnut.com via Nikki on Pinterest

Or pinker on the other side?!?!

I know I'm not the only one that looks at other people's lives and says,

"WOW, it must be nice to be them"!

I also know, how incredibly BLESSED I am with my own life.

However, sometimes life hits you square in the eyes
and surprises you.

As I mentioned yesterday, I went to my best friend L's 30th birthday party.

L and I have been best friends for 20 years!
Yes, 20 years, wow!

Through those years we have taken different paths in life, but have always managed to remain close and rocks for each other. Right now she is a married lady and mother to two sweet love bugs, my Fresh Prince and Princess Kate.

Even though we are at different places in life, we've always been able to connect and have fun together. I will admit, that there have been times I've been envious of her life. And I am 100% okay admitting that envy. She has two beautiful babies, a loving husband and a home, while I'm renting an apartment, partying, and traveling to play kickball.



Usually when we the two of us hang out, it's not a big deal. However, when there is a big group of her friends and I join, I'm usually the odd girl out. More often than not, I'm the only single [notmarried] girl in attendance, which makes for interesting conversations. I have no problem talking or listening about babies, diapers, potty training and all other aspects of children. I find those stories funny and usually come back with "Kids are great, especially when I can give them back"! To which I get a chuckle or two from the mommies.

But Saturday night, after I asked about people's kids, I got the question "So what's going on in your life?", which made me cringe. How dumb does traveling to different states to play kickball or soccer sound following teething, first steps, first words or buying a home? INCREDIBLY dumb right?!?!

Now, before anyone says "HOW RUDE they judged you!" they didn't.
That is the judgement I put on myself, everyone Saturday night was more than happy to ask questions about my trips. They did not make me feel uncomfortable in the least. The issue was in my head because of ME! I managed to shake of the green monster for most of the evening and thoroughly enjoyed the wine, desserts and company.




My ah ha moment came as I was getting ready to leave. I had made my round of goodbyes and was getting ready to walk out the door when one of the mommies looked at me and said,

"Pinky, I just want to tell you, I live vicariously through your single life pictures on Facebook. You really have the life".

Flabbergasted I replied, "But you have your husband and your beautiful babies"!

To which she answered,
"Yes, I have my babies and I love them. But, I love your single life and I hope you know how lucky you are to be living it! Enjoy!"

L concurred and said "Yes, you my single friend have it made. Love you"!

I smiled graciously, shouted happy birthday
and walked out the door mind blown.
The mommies envy me?!?!?! My renting single life?!?!
ME!?!
Like I said, mind blown!

 I don't think I have the perfect life by any means, and I am happily awaiting the day when I'm a Mrs. with a hubby and then a mommy. I've always wanted the family life, always.

But, I guess for right now, I'm WHERE I need to be, green/pink grass and all. God sent me a reminder this weekend.
HE knows what is best and all will come in HIS time.

I'm going to do all I can to water MY grass
and make my yard [life] as beautiful as I can.

So y'all just remember that too okay?!?!?

If you ever start to doubt your life, just remember:

Do y'all ever get 'Grass is greener envy"?

**********************

And, because I thought this was funny ;)

8 comments:

  1. This is so true! I always want what I can't have. Ten I have to remind myself that as soon as I have what I've been wanting that I'll then again want what I currently have. Need to enjoy the moment youre living in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those feelings are 100% completely natural. And, I think it's easy to see how some things are better on the other side (and easy to forget the things that aren't so great) no matter what side you're standing on. I think the key is being happy with the things that you DO have, and making sure those things (and people) are nurtured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed to hear this today... Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "Grass is Greener where you water it" saying... I agree, sometimes it is hard not to envy the people in your lives, but, you have to make the best of everything, and trust that everything will turn out just as it is suppose to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. But watering your own grass is hard!! It is definitely an every day struggle to be happy with who you are and where you are in that exact moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GIRL I love this! I know a lot of people who always say that they wish they had what someone else has. Sometimes I get like this then I get someone say something to me like what your friend said to you and it makes me realize I do have a good life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really DO have a fabulous life! Seriously, you get to have so much fun, and you are living the life that is perfect for you! According to everyone else I should be popping out babies, but instead I'm still working at Hooters and pretending like I'm 21. Haha. We all live the lives that are good for us and we should never compare ours to others! "Comparison is the thief of joy" Lovers you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! :) We've talked before about that ugly green monster... and it's so hard to ignore it, but it's usually true... our lives are great! I love that we both "try" to enjoy our lives and put that monster in his cage!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your comments! Make my p!nk day and leave me some love!