Image Map

April 21, 2016

Everything You Need to Know About Packing {Guest Post: Kristen}

Hi Pinky's readers! A huge thank you to the wonderful Pinky for having me over at her place today while she's off on an amazing vacation that I am insanely jealous of! For those of you I haven't met before, my name is Kristen and I blog over at See You In A Porridge (unrelated to goldilocks) about a whole lot of nothing and everything; books, cats, travelexpat life (I'm from Australia) etc etc.
See You In A Porridge

One of the things I love to post - and read - about is packing. I'm one of those people who love to squish everything in a carry on. Mainly because I've been the unfortunate person who has had her luggage stolen / lost / damaged / delayed and I was just sick of it. When I first started looking into carry on only packing, I thought there was no way I could do it. I'm the girl who brought 2 full size suitcases on a 2 week trip. It was always the same though, because I brought so much it was so overwhelming that I would end up wearing the same few things and buying new stuff on holiday (I have a wee bit of a shopping problem). So I read basically every post on the entire internet on how to do it, and I've done it successfully several times. And so can you!

I have been able to pack using just a carry on for every trip I have been on in the last couple of years; Australia for 2 weeks, NYC in winter, 2 weeks in Europe and our most recent trip to Disney World / Universal (and a couple other times I haven't blogged about!). I'll never go back to checking a bag.

Today I wanted to share a basic packing list with 10 items that easily make 15+ outfits. You could change it around to suit your needs, tastes or location. You could throw in accessories - the thing is, this is super basic but it just shows you that you absolutely can do it, it's a matter of wanting to do it, and planning. That's it.


All item details can be found here.

And the outfits I put together:

You'll notice the skirt is also a dress - I know Pinky has a few maxi skirts that can be worn as dresses, which is just brilliant. I also used a different shirt in the bottom left corner to show one of my favourite things to do over a dress - knot a tee. It's the perfect way to get more wear out of a dress, especially if it doesn't convert to a skirt, and the knot is fun.

If you look at any of my packing posts, you'll find that most of them look the same, and that's because I know what I am comfortable with and what I like. I like neutrals and stripes, and that's just what I like. Packing posts, in my opinion, aren't meant to be a hard and fast rule, but a guide, and I love looking at them because they give me ideas, but I don't have to follow them down to the letter. So you don't have to follow this, nor do I expect anyone to take 10 items and actually wear them this many times without doing some laundry - but it gives you an idea, hopefully.

If you don't want to pack using only a carry on, you don't have to. But if you do, you absolutely can. Don't be discouraged, it's really not that hard. Read my tips on how to pack less here. My thing is - I'm still an overpacker at heart. I want all the options, I want to be prepared for all the things. You can still do that using just a carry on, I promise. We use the ebags motherlode bags and love them, they make my overpacking heart happy.

Thanks again for having me, Pinky!

NO, THANK YOU for such an informative post and for being SUCH an incredible wealth of information. Y'all the first person I contacted after Le Husband suggested the Europe trip last summer was Kristen. I knew had read about her summer trip and knew she had the info on the best deals and if it was something possible budget-wise. SHE is such a supportive friend and helped me constantly when I had questions about packing. The reason I can do 30 days in a carry on is all because of her, so THANKS SWEET FRIEND!!! Love you!

27 comments:

  1. I bow down to the queen of packing - I really think you should start charging for this service! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love packing posts - I have a tendency to over pack but am really, really trying to get better about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw shucks for such a sweet shout out at the end Pinky! you are so sweet. i hope you are having the best time and i cannot wait to hear all about it and how the packing went, and once you get back i'd be curious to know if you would change anything! have a fabulous time, thanks again for having me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could read this packing post 100 times and still love it. Definitely super useful information here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, you need to come pack for me every time I go on vacation. You are literally the master of packing and still looking cute! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love a post by the packing guru. Good stuff Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. seriously you're a master packer. i packed last night for a weekend - 3 full days and i still stuffed my carry on haha. but oh well :) i had the space so why not fill it right? :) but i'm def more strategic if i have to go longer. bc you're right - always end up wearing basically the same stuff!

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooo... when are you coming to my house to pack for me for a trip?! Because I never get away with just one bag. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're definitely the best packer!! I did just a carry on for SF, and it went pretty well.. though I feel like I ended up wearing skinnies with black tops, scarves, and my black blazer.. like every day. Which means I looked the same... like every day. Ah well! I still did it. Hopefully next time I can have a better idea of what I want to wear! :) I love these posts though, because they definitely show how many base outfits there are and that there are so many ways to customize with accessories! :) Happy vacation Pinky! :) XO - Alexandra


    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always tried to be a better packer haha.. It never works out for me but love these "what to pack" posts! They are seriously the best! Thanks for having her over! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know how I feel about carry ons and packing. This post is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Kristen's trip tips and her outfits while traveling are so much better than mine :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. you're a packing guru kristen! I'm embarrassed to say that for how much I travel I am still an awful packer! I think your theory of a few basics that make a lot of different outfits is perfect. i'll learn some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all the clothes you picked, Kristen! You have great style, my friend. I became a pretty good packer when I used to travel a ton for my Corporate job (like 2-3 times a month). Sometimes I barely got to the airport time, so I never wanted to deal with checked luggage. Now I've gotten lazy and clearly need to put my game face back on. Or call you for help!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristen is totally the packing queen!!! Great, great list as always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooooh, packing!!! I used to always over pack. Then I got tired of lugging a large suitcase with stuff I never even touched. So I started packing lighter and then started under packing- who does that? haha.

    thanks for the amazing ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post! I am a chronic over packer. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristin is the goddess of packing for trips, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always the best packing tips- I think my problem isn't so much with packing it's with my closet / I just need a new wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your packing posts! I am such an over packer :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know we've talked about this before, Kristen, but I am SO with you on traveling with only a carry on! I've had my checked bags lost far too often. Love your packing posts, friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So I'm at dinner with my husband last night discussing our trip to Europe this summer and I say "I want to only take a carry on suitcase" the look he gave me was priceless. I'm going to try so hard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this post! So helpful. I have had the horrible experience of my luggage getting lost before and wish I was a better packer to be able to take a carry on I'll be bookmarking this for my next trip!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love reading about packing too! I aspire to travel with only a carry-on! I've only done it once, but it was only for a 2 day trip. I'm notorious for overpacking. Which is silly because I pretty much wear the same clothes all the time, so not sure why I feel like i need more options when I'm traveling? lol The hardest thing I have with is shoes...I always want lots of shoe options!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kristen really is the best when it comes to packing! I contacted her too when we started officially planning our Europe trip, and I fully intend on packing in a carry on for our big trip! I hope you're having a blast in Europe Pinky!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This post is coming at a perfect time for me as we're leaving for San Diego this week! I'm hoping to do just a carry-on since it's only a few days but I'm paranoid that TSA will make me throw away my makeup and face-wash stuff. How do you avoid all of that? Just throw it all in plastic bags and make sure it's travel size?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't travel often but I love Kristen's posts about packing because it's amazing! And I hope to someday learn from her tips and suggestions!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your comments! Make my p!nk day and leave me some love!